US Vice President Mike Pence has reassured Ukraine that it still has the US administration’s support, even as President Donald Trump was reportedly considering a plan to cut millions of dollars in military aid to the country.
Speaking ahead of a meeting with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy in Warsaw on Sunday, Pence said Washington “will continue to stand with the people of Ukraine on your security, on territorial integrity, including Ukraine’s rightful claim in Crimea.”
Pence met with Zelenskiy a week after Trump floated the idea of Russia’s return to the Group of Seven nations (G7), from which it had been excluded after Crimea rejoined Russia in 2014.
The reunification came after a referendum, where more than 90 percent of participants voted in favor of the move, but the West branded the move as “annexation” of Ukrainian land by Russia.
The US — a key ally for Kiev — branded the move as “annexation” of Ukrainian land by Russia and has imposed sanctions on the Moscow.
In siding with Ukraine, the European Union has also followed Washington’s lead in leveling several rounds of sanctions against Moscow.
The vice president, however, did not address reports that Trump was considering cutting $250 million in military assistance to Kiev.
He claimed that the relation between Kiev and Washington has never been stronger.
Earlier this week, the American daily Politico reported that Trump has tasked his national security team with reviewing military aid to Ukraine to ensure American interests are being “prioritized.”
US President Donald Trump says he would support Russia’s return to the Group of Eight (G8) advanced industrialized countries if another member proposed such a reinstatement.
The funding, around $250 million that had been allocated for weapons, training, equipment and intelligence support for Ukraine, has now been frozen, reports show.