By: The Kabul Times
US and the Taliban negotiators have resumed peace talks in Doha, the capital the Arab country of Qatar, discussing issues relating to the signing of the peace deal, said Suhail Shaheen, one of the group’s spokesmen said in his tweet on Friday.
He said the talks being led by the US special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad and the Taliban Deputy Abdul Ghani Baradar, was expected to be continued for the next few days.
These current talks have built on peace discussions that began last year but were scuttled by US President Donald Trump in early September following a bombing in Kabul, claimed by the Taliban, that killed more than a dozen people, including a US service member.
A gradual withdrawal of the 13,000 US forces, and thousands of NATO troops, is part of the peace deal, according to sources familiar with the talks.
As part of efforts to move the peace process forward, sources said, the Taliban leader has agreed on a reduction in violence for a period of between seven to 10 days.
This is while the government of Afghanistan insists on a ceasefire before beginning intra-Afghan negotiations. Last week, President Ghani’s spokesman Sediq Seddiqi said in a tweet that a reduction in violence “is not practical” and “it does not have an accurate meaning in legal and military terms.”
According to him, a ceasefire should be similar to the one announced two years ago during the celebration of Eid, in August 2017 that lasted for three days.