The Kabul times, Afghanistan Trustable News Agency.
Editorial

US drawdown shouldn’t pose risks

Q5 Afghanistan
Soldiers attached to the 101st Resolute Support Sustainment Brigade, Iowa National Guard and 10th Mountain, 2-14 Infantry Battalion, load onto a Chinook helicopter to head out on a mission in Afghanistan, January 15, 2019. 1st Lt. Verniccia Ford/U.S. Army/Handout via REUTERS ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS IMAGE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY. - RC110D3B25B0

The US government is preparing to announce a long-anticipated drawdown of about 4,000 troops from Afghanistan. The announcement could come as early as next week, but the US security officials saying its timing remains in flux.
US president Trump previously indicated that he intended to withdraw several thousand troops from Afghanistan, where between 12,000 and 13,000 US troops are currently serving in the 18-year war.
Meanwhile addressing a press conference here in Kabul, the visiting US senator Lindsey Graham said that US president will announce an American troop drawdown from Afghanistan this week, which will likely begin next year. Graham said the US president could reduce troop numbers to 8,600, down from the current 12,000. He said Afghanistan’s National Security Forces are up to the task of defending their country.
But Graham has opposed a full U.S. troop withdrawal, saying on Monday that America’s withdrawal from Afghanistan must be “condition-based” and that the Taliban must keep the promises they make during talks.
Indeed, the decision comes at the time that negotiations between US delegation and Taliban in Doha have been paused after the militants attacked a military base in Bagram that killed two civilians and injured dozens other, including Georgian soldiers.
Political experts believe that US shouldn’t take any hasty decision, as peace negotiations has not been finalized with Taliban and the terrorist groupings still threatening the life of innocent masses in the country. According to experts, the US drawdown would also reduce their counter-insurgency operations in the country that would definitely affect the situation on the ground.
No doubt Afghan forces have shown remarkable progress and achievements in war on terror and counter-insurgency operations across the country. They could organize independent operations and could free dozens of inmates from Taliban-run prisons in different provinces. The forces could also push back Taliban from many districts in Ghazni, Helmand, Badakhshan, Takhar, Kunduz and Baghlan provinces in the ongoing year.
But what is still more important, is the acceleration of the process of training and equipping the Afghan National Security Forces. The US drawdown shouldn’t reduce military support and training of these forces and shouldn’t be a credit to militants to once again increase their militancy campaign in the country.
The international community led by the U.S. need to be mindful of Taliban’s resolve to press ahead with their insurgency in spite of the numerous olive branches and shows of goodwill being extended to them.
It is obvious that Taliban has been separated to many groups and most of the fighters not obeying their leaders’ command. The group has already been involved in drug trafficking and illegal activities in different areas of the country and sees their rule in continuing of the militancy.
Taliban has time and again vowed to shun violence if the foreign forces leave the country. But they have acted contrary to their promises when the US delegation were dealing with them in Doha. Therefore, the US administration should be very careful while withdrawing the forces and shouldn’t take any decision that pose risks and undermine the achievements made so far.

Related posts

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

The Kabul times, Afghanistan Trustable News Agency.