By: Suraya Raiszada
Following coronavirus outbreak in a number of provinces of the country, the ministry of public health says all government institutions have adopted necessary and serious measures for the prevention of coronavirus outbreak. Meanwhile, the ministry of public health with close cooperation of other institutions has adopted necessary programs for prevention of the virus in the country.
According for a spokesperson to the ministry of public health Waheedullah Mayar, a committee has been created with supervision of the country’s President to prevent from coronavirus outbreak in the country.
“Currently we have a 20-bed hospital for treatment of patients suffering the coronavirus or COVID-19 although the disease has no treatment or medication at all, but these health centers treat them,” Mayar said.
According to the MoPH spokesperson, there are 449 suspicious cases to the coronavirus registered across the country.
“10 new positive cases of coronavirus have been registered in different provinces of the country, including the capital Kabul, over the past 24 hours,” Mayar said, adding that the number of positive cases in the country has now reached to 34.
Related to concerns over coronavirus outbreak among ANDSF personnel, the MoPH spokesperson said concerns over coronavirus outbreak among ANDSF have been addressed as a monitoring committee has been created to monitor the virus outbreak at each 24 hours and implement guidance suggested by the MoPH.
Currently, 34 positive cases for the coronavirus have been registered across the country so far as 15 positive cases registered in Herat, 3 in Samangan, 1 in Logar, 2 in Balkh, 1 in Badghis, 1 in Daikundi, 1 in Kapisa, 2 in Zabul, in Ghazni and 1 in Kandahar.
Meanwhile, Afghanistan Independent Administrative Reforms and Civil Services Commission (AIARCS) has declared a range of measures for the prevention of coronavirus outbreak in government institutions. Based on the declaration of the commission, employees of the civil services aged 55 – 58 can stay home for three weeks, while others can work in offices from 8:00 am – 1:00 pm.
On the other hand, the government has allocated one million US dollars as an emergency fund to fight coronavirus. Last week, leaders of SAARC countries during a video conference demanded the creation of a COVID-19 Emergency Fund. Presidential Spokesman SediqSediqi tweeted that the government approved one million USD in contribution to the COVID-19 Emergency Fund. Earlier, President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani had pledged contribution to the COVID-19 Emergency Fund.
Meanwhile, Jack Ma, Asia’s richest man, pledged 1.8 million face masks, 210,000 test kits and 36,000 protective suits plus ventilators and thermometers to combat the outspread of coronavirus in Afghanistan and 9 other Asian countries.
The latest announcement by Jack Ma is being made at a time when there are growing concerns that the massive return of Afghan refugees from Iran could result into further outspread of the disease in Afghanistan.
Confirmed coronavirus cases surged past 300,000 globally over the weekend, with infections in the United States climbing to more than 25,000 by Sunday morning.