World

US air carrier in the Gulf a target not a threat: Iran commander

The United States’s military presence in the Gulf used to be a serious threat but now represented a “target” and “opportunity”, a senior Iranian Revolutionary Guard commander said, raising the rhetoric as US forces head towards the region.
A former top US defence official, meanwhile, warned on Sunday of a “real risk” of a miscalculation between the two sides as the war of words intensifies.
The US military has deployed forces, including an aircraft carrier and B-52 bombers, to the Middle East in a move US officials said was to counter “clear indications” of threats from Iran to its troops in the region.
The USS Abraham Lincoln is replacing another carrier rotated out of the Gulf last month. “An aircraft carrier that has at least 40 to 50 planes on it and 6,000 forces gathered within it was a serious threat for us in the past. But now it is a target and the threats have switched to opportunities,” said Amir Ali Hajizadeh, head of the Revolutionary Guard’s air force
“If [the Americans] make a move, we will hit them in the head,” he added, according to the Iranian Students’ News Agency (ISNA).
Speaking to CNBC in an interview which was slated to be broadcast on Monday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the military deployments came in response to intelligence about potential Iranian attacks and aimed both to deter them and to be able to respond if necessary.
“We’ve seen this reporting,” Pompeo said. “It’s real. It appears to be something that is current, that is things we’re worried about today.
“In the event that Iran decided to come after an American interest – whether that be in Iraq or Afghanistan or Yemen or any place in the Middle East – we are prepared to respond in an appropriate way,” he said, adding “our aim is not war”.
William Fallon, former commander of the US Central Command, told Al Jazeera he did not expect the situation between Iran and the US to escalate despite “the media hype”.
Fallon said tensions between Tehran and Washington had been ongoing for decades and he saw no serious outcome despite the recent heated rhetoric from both sides.
“Ridiculous reporting” was exaggerating the situation in the Gulf when in fact it was the same scenario militarily as it had been for years between the archrivals, he noted.
“The US has been coming in and out of the Gulf for decades and is committed to open, clear and free passage of ships in the Gulf,” said Fallon.
Iran’s parliament held a closed session on Sunday to discuss the developments in the Gulf.
Heshmatollah Falahatpisheh, who heads the influential parliamentary committee on national security and foreign policy, told the official IRNA news agency Iran wasn’t looking to deepen the crisis.
He said the US position would weaken with time, and there were currently no grounds for negotiations with Washington.
Major-General Hossein Salami, appointed head of the Revolutionary Guard last month, told parliament the United States had started a psychological war.
“Commander Salami, with attention to the situation in the region, presented an analysis that the Americans have started a psychological war because the comings and goings of their military is a normal matter,” his spokesman Behrouz Nemati said.
aljazeera

Related posts

DR Congo: Deadly clashes in South Kivu ahead of elections

Saida Ahmadi

SDF says assault on last ISIL-held area in Syria over ‘soon’

Saida Ahmadi

Trump barred from denying asylum to people entering US informally

Saida Ahmadi